I was in the mood of making something with sweet potatoes and while I was looking in our pantry there were the Rice Krispies staring at me, I felt that they were shouting out for me to grab them and how could I say no. The idea starting developing in my head and yet I was still not sure if I was going to crush and use them as a breading or incorporate them into the mix.
While we enjoy eating Sweet Potatoes in a variety of ways this is certainty a new recipe in our cookbook, we all like them and the girls had more than what I thought they would. This combination of Sweet Potatoes, Rice Krispie, and cheese is one that we will continue to experiment with.
- 3 large sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup Glutten Free Rice Krispies
- 4 oz Cream Cheese
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp lime zest
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 cups shredded coconut, sweetened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Dash of Salt.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Wash and Bake or steam Sweet Potatoes until tender
- Peel and mash them.
- Add Cream Cheese, lime juice, zest, brown sugar, Rice Krispies, salt and nutmeg
- In a separate container (plate or bowl) combine coconut sugar and cinnamon (set aside)
- Using a small ice-cream scooper make sweet potato balls
- Roll each ball in the coconut mixture and place in an oven safe tray.
- Bake for 20 minutes then change oven to broil for 10 to 15 minutes.
Hope you like our new Sweet Potatoes Rice Krispies bites.
Fun educational activities or questions to do with little ones while preparing this recipe.
- Have the little ones touch and feel the sweet potatoes, talk to them about the benefits of eating it
- Then have them wash or help washing the sweet potatoes
- Talk about the color of the sweet potatoes then they can continue naming each color of every ingredient in the recipe
- If they can read they can read out loud the recipe and start separating the ingredients as they will be needed, if they can not read you can help them read the recipe (show them each word that you are reading and the correct phonetics).
- Kids can also help measuring ingredients, if they can not do it by themselves, help them and explain the concept of measuring things.
- They can help mix the ingredients, then they can scoop the little balls and even roll them in the coconut mix.
At the end of the baking they will be so proud of the balls that they helped make and most likely they will be telling everyone about them. Have children tell you what you talked about and re-enforce what they have learned.
Have fun, and Enjoy!!